Re: [SLUG] XFS, Reiser, and Ext3

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2006 - 14:49:35 EDT

On Monday 11 September 2006 13:50, William Coulter wrote:

> Ext3 is what I have used in the past, but I don't like it. It was slow and
> I had more problems with it. Maybe it was disto and version but I am
> warming to the idea of using it again.
>
> XFS is somthing that I have not used before. How stable is it? Who is
> using it and for how long? Pros and Cons?

I don't know what kind of problems you've had with ext3 but it's not very
likely to be related to ext3. Few fs's are more stable than it.

What are you using your filesystem for anyway? These other fs has each some
specific areas where they shine, but unless you have some serious activities
I doubt you'd see much difference. There are also issues where your fs normal
tools are not compatible with them. That can cause confusions and problems.
Unfortunatley I've not stayed on top of them to be more specific, but I'm sure
others here have.

It all seems too much like an unusual solution. It could be fun and
interesting and those kinds of things, but otherwise likely to be more
trouble than value in the end.

(Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the time to play with different fs,
but my time tend to be more targeted towards other things and I get the idea
you don't want to mess around too much with it either.)

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.