Re: [SLUG] Rumors of demise

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 17:02:47 EDT

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 15:36, Paul M Foster wrote:

> Personally, I'd suggest one in Tampa, or one in Tampa and one in
> Pinellas. (And then perhaps the Sarasota folk, for whom meetings are
> apparently just an excuse to plan the next drinking binge. ;-)

That's too funny!

I can just see it. "SLUG meeting. Don't bring your computer - you might get
beer and other liquids in it!" I guess SLUG is more social there. Actually,
last time I attended something in Duneden we also met at a brewery! Haha,
guess we all like a good beer, or whatever...

I think I would have attended more if I did not had to drive to ST Pete every
time. Duneden has not been too interesting sounding with so few attendees,
and I've never remembered to go when they are on. Which is another large
factor, as I'm usually not thinking of it, being busy with other things like
being a single dad to a teenager.

Checking what brings my interest up I see that people demonstrating toys are
fun. I never got around to learning Python, so I would love to get someone
who can show a few basic things to help getting started. I'm building a new
distro that would be interesting to discuss.

One of the things that also holds me back is not having any idea about what
each meeting is about. It would be great if there was some indication as to
what will be discussed.

Since there is a lot of subjects and different interests I could imagine that
a web page where would be presenters could offer to speak about something.
Where want to be audience could ask for things to be discussed/presented.
Then everyone could just go there and see what is going on or put their desire
on the list and we'd all have a good idea as to who, what where and when.

This in itself can be an interesting SLUG project.

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.