Re: {SPAM?} Re: [SLUG] {SPAM?} Rumors of demise

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 17:29:33 EDT

Dylan William Hardison wrote:

<snip>

> When we have a last minute change, I call or email as many people as
> possible and alert them. It helps that I know almost everyone that
> attends the meetings on a semi-personal basis.
>
> Although, I never remember Kevin Moran's last name...

Well, there's part of my problem. I can't remember names for crap, and
I've had people at my meetings for years, and *never* learned their
names. I probably know the names of maybe 20 people in the *whole
group*. (Apologies to those whose names I don't know. I had a good
friend from L.A. show up one time at the Post Office in downtown
Clearwater, and I couldn't for the life of me remember his name. I was
beyond embarrassed.)

<snip>

> The Dunedin meeting is often a topic of discussion at the St. Pete
> meeting. It's close by, relatively speaking, but Saturday morning is a
> time for sleep.

I agree. ;-}

>> Attendance is clearly down overall. By contrast, membership in the
>> group, as measured by s*bscr*bers to the lists, is level and has been
>> for five or six years.
>

> Well, consider the number of people that have moved away but are still
> on the list. I wonder how large this number is?

No way to know, but I doubt it's that many.

> Plus there is a collection of people not on the list.

They don't count in membership figures, since I can't track them.

> I also know for a fact that many people are simply *very* busy with
> other parts of their life.

As are we all.

<snip>

> probably a mix of 50/50 discussion group / presentation is best.

Agreed. Presentations should be short enough to allow time after for
discussion. That mix worked exceptionally well in Tampa.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster