Re: [SLUG] Rumors of demise

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 20:23:53 EDT

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 17:34, Paul M Foster wrote:
> steve szmidt wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Since there is a lot of subjects and different interests I could imagine
> > that a web page where would be presenters could offer to speak about
> > something. Where want to be audience could ask for things to be
> > discussed/presented. Then everyone could just go there and see what is
> > going on or put their desire on the list and we'd all have a good idea as
> > to who, what where and when.
> >
> > This in itself can be an interesting SLUG project.
>
> We had a list of topics one time, created by Ed Centanni. Big list of
> presentation topics. No one was interested in doing them. That's always
> the problem with presentations. I used to push this at every Tampa
> meeting, and I could almost never get anyone to do one. I ended up doing
> some (exceptionally weak) presentations myself.

OK. But it could at least show subjects people are interested in. Like:

This months requests:
Count Level Subject
  1 Beginner Email forwarding over open relays
251 Moderate Blocking spam
  4 Advanced Hacking spammers

This months offerings:
Date By Subject
Sep l33t General hacking techniques

Previous requests:
Month Count Subject
Aug 14 Getting VPN to work
Jul 4 Connecting subnet to my LAN
Jul 1 How to switch to KDE

Previous offerings:
Month Responses Subject
Feb 3 How to use CUPS

This will show what's interesting to people and what they like to talk about.
Add some simple authentication to limit it to SLUG members (and abuse).

--

Steve Szmidt

"To enjoy the right of political self-government, men must be capable of personal self-government - the virtue of self-control. A people without decency cannot be secure in its liberty. From the Declaration Principles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.