RE: [SLUG] Rumors of demise

From: John Brown (photo.man@knology.net)
Date: Thu Sep 14 2006 - 10:55:22 EDT

Hello Sluggers,

I hope this is on topic.

Yesterday, I got a note from Matt Basham, Program Director-Business
Technologies/Computer Science, St. Petersburg College

        He wrote:
        "I haven’t heard back from the Linux group… I am anxious to get
        all of you out here meeting. We are switching over another room
        to dual boot in Linux in case we need two rooms."

St. Pete College has built a technology center that features Cisco
Networking, Cisco VoIP, Unix and Linux labs. They have projectors for
demos and presentations and rooms full of new Dell servers with
removable HDs and even Sun Blades just sitting waiting for students and
community events. They are also interested in using Cisco streaming
video for including remote locations.

I met the Matt at the "EPI Center" in the ICOT center and immediately
got the grand tour. He is very enthusiastic about showing off his
facility and hosting events for local Linux, Unix and Cisco user groups.
He says both Cisco the college are pushing for hosting community events
at the new facility.

The location off Ulmerton in Largo might not be so good for regular
meetings but for something special? Perhaps a non-regular "special
event?"

Whatchathink?

-- JB