Re: [SLUG] how can you improve this?

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 12:47:01 EDT

> Now on to your analogy of opensource trying to be like xzy product. Just
> because people would like to see lets say gimp be more like photoshop or OO
> to be more pretty like MS Office it does not mean they are not trying to
> make it beter beyond that. They are striving to get to a mile stone.

Sure. I guess the point I was trying to make was "as good as" is
vastly different than "looks/acts/tastes exactly like."

> It
> not like Open Office folks are going to go oh we now have OO as pretty and
> as functional as MS office now it time to stop working on it. The problem
> is that it not even that OO is not as good or beter than MS office right now
> but people simply do not want to learn new things and having to relearn
> where everything else just because some pro open source it nazi comes in and
> flips the company upside with his crap. For open source to get acceptance
> in the corporate world and at the home user level it has to be comparble
> menus locations etc to office.

Now this I disagree with. Why should a piece of Free software pander
to a bunch of whiny users who don't want to relearn Edit->Preferences
instead of Tools->Options, instead of providing the best, most
unified, most intuitive interface it can?

> Coke Photoshop , Office , Preiemere all set a
> standard to which opensource has to meet if they expect to have any
> crossover. Other wise it goingto be just a bunch of nerds who use it . To
> get acceptence training has to be kept minimal as people simplydo not like
> to learn new things, nor do I see it being cost effective in the terms of
> lost productivity while IT is trying to train the staff on all this open
> source goodness.
>
> Which is whay Office 12 is going to fail to much of a radical change in ui
> will leave people confused on how to do something as the menus options and
> location of items have drastically changed. But it still in Beta so MS has
> time to screw it up more. Or they might fix it.

This is the thing that *really* gets me. When *MS* changes a UI,
everybody drools all over it because it's "such a big improvement,"
but those same people will complain about a different UI when it's on
top of a Free software package.

--
Tcsh: Now with higher FPS!
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html