Re: [SLUG] how can you improve this?

From: Levi Bard (taktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktaktak@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Sep 18 2006 - 12:41:02 EDT

> I think getting a better cola than the original would be great. Coke did get
> it right and won our "hearts". So getting as good as Coke to start with would
> not be a bad accomplishment.

I agree, getting it to where an equivalent number of people like it
and Coke would be great. However, I don't think "making it taste just
like Coke" should be the method of accomplishing that.

> Otherwise it seems that what you are saying is that OSS is not aiming high
> enough?
>
> If so, one could argue both ways as there are many better product than the
> commercial counterpart. Ditto there are worse, but that's obviously due to
> the difference in quality, and enough funds to live on, between developers,
> OSS or not.
>
> Otherwise we have seen that overall OSS code looks better, has fewer bugs.

Well, what I meant was, those OSS proponents who say, "XOSSApp should
look and feel exactly like XProprietaryApp!" are aiming too low.
This kind of attitude, was it prevalent, would turn free software into
a set of cheap knockoffs of proprietary software, instead of what it
should be: high-quality software that stands on its own merits.

--
Tcsh: Now with higher FPS!
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html