[SLUG] VoIP hardware & service provider recommendations

From: Sick Twist (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 21 2006 - 23:41:22 EDT

I am shopping for a new VoIP service provider but I am a little new at VoIP
stuff so I would appreciate some guidance.

If I buy a VoIP router so that I can use a regular telephone, I don't want
to buy hardware that is tied to a specific provider. Is SIP v2 the standard
that a router needs to support to allow it to be vendor neutral? If not,
what standard or specification should the router meet? Can anyone recommend
a 4-port VOIP router (and perhaps a place to buy it) that meets this
requirement?

I want go with a service provider that will work with any standard VoIP
hardware (see question above) _and_ that will work with Linux softphones
like Ekiga. Does anyone have good or bad experience with BroadVoice? Are
there other providers that I should consider?

Thanks for your input!
Jonathon