[SLUG] Interesting topic - Reiser and EXT3

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Fri Oct 13 2006 - 10:43:32 EDT

There are a number of threads surrounding this topic, but one in particular that is stating that OpenSUSE 10.2, currently in Alpha 5 will be released with EXT3 as the default filesystem. Primarily the reasoning is that EXT3 has now caught up with Reiser from a scalability, functionality, and maturity perspective (h-trees and online expansion) that Reiser has enjoyed for many years. This does not imply in any way that we are dropping support for Reiser - filesystems live very long lives and Reiser will continue to be supported into the indefinite future.

While this hasn't been announced officially, it is an interesting change of default that will appear in the SLE11 release and in OpenSUSE 10.2 that I figured you all would be interested in knowing. Expect to see an announcement on the SLE site shortly.

JP