Re: [SLUG] HP Color Laserjet 4550N

From: John Pugh (jpugh@novell.com)
Date: Tue Oct 24 2006 - 10:17:34 EDT

michael hast <evylrobot19@cox.net> wrote:

>>> We have tons of these in our offices all over the world and they work
>>> great under linux and the driver is included in SLE 10
>>>
>>> JP
>>>

> Okay. Here's where I'm at currently. I can apt- get hplip (albeit
> through Kpackage) and the installation returns a result=0. When we did
> this on my wife's machine, we went into the printer configuration under
> the Control Center, and "added a new printer" through the little GUI
> "wizard" type thing. It actually listed the brand, "HP" and model,
> "Color Laserjet 4550." Once all that was hooked up, it works great. On
> mine, when I go to the same place, "add a new printer," it shows the
> brand "ESP." Under model, one of the choices is "HP Laserjet." When I
> pick that and send a test print, it never makes it to the printer,
> although my machine says that it was sent correctly. I have uninstalled
> and reinstalled hplip to see if that would do it, and it did not.
> John, since you have clearly worked with this printer under 'nix,
> have you ever run into a problem like this? Is there an easy way to
> diagnose my problem or configure the printer on the command line? Thx.
>
> -- Michael

have not run into it...the drivers just worked on the SUSE desktop distros since the ~9.1 days. If you only have a HP Laserjet option...I would look for a LJ3 or 4 option since that seems to be fairly universal for pcl printing.
If the job is getting to the queue...I'd look at the job to see how it's formatted - if it's going into the bit bucket - you may need to find the broken "link". If garbage is coming out on the printer - doesn't sound like the case- then wrong driver or setttings.

Jp