Re: [SLUG] Protest the Microsoft-Novell Patent Agreement

From: Rich Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 12:16:41 EST

On Mon, November 27, 2006 11:48 am, Robert Snyder wrote:
> This is the whole Anti microsoft crap that gives linux a bad name. Why
> do
> people want to protest this crap! Simple to keep a long standing troll
> flaming war on.

No, this doesn't give Linux a bad name. This means the Linux community
stands for something more than money. We stand for choice and
unencumbered software. People are protesting this because it goes against
those ideals.

> Personally this is nothing but a good postive step.

More Linux community leaders disagree than agree with your feelings.

> In all honestly if there is IP issues I think the dedicated opensource
> community could rewrite anything that might (keyword there is might ) be
> in violation of Micrsofts IP. But to have Microsoft support issues
> invloving linux servers intergrating with there own products in priceless.

Ah, but you're assuming that Microsoft will give the kernel developers the
chance to fix any IP "infringement" issues. Seeing as how SCO didn't give
anyone that chance (because they really didn't have any proof) AND
Microsoft was bankrolling the SCO case, I'm not seeing Microsoft playing
fair with this case, either.

> So this ultimately this microsoft / novell deal will do more good than
> harm. As any microsoft ip issues can be taken care of with simple
> rewriting of the code.

You're making some large assumptions with those two sentences - especially
the last sentence. You assume: 1) There really is infringement, 2)
Microsoft will offer Linux developers a chance to remedy the infringement
without taking the case to court, 3) The offending code would be trivial
to rewrite, 4) The intellectual property infringed upon can be worked
around without any loss of kernel functionality.

v/r,
Rich Morgan
OpenAddict.com