[SLUG] streaming video across Internet

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 12:30:17 EST

I recently learned about a device called SlingBox[1] that allows one to
stream TV stations from one's home to any computer connected to the
Internet. It made me curious to know how difficult it would be to implement
something similiar with a Hauppauge TV tuner card and Linux.

Has anyone on the list ever tried running a MythTV server at home and
connecting to it from another Linux box across the Internet? What other
streaming video options exist for Linux that could handle a TV tuner card
and/or video stored locally at home on a server? I assume the video server
would need to downsample the video and audio on-the-fly in order to conserve
bandwith. I guess tunneling the connection through SSH would be a good
choice for security unless it adds too much latency. What other factors
might need to be considered for setting up something like this?

Jonathon

[1] http://www.slingmedia.com/

Get free, personalized commercial-free online radio with MSN Radio powered
by Pandora http://radio.msn.com/?icid=T002MSN03A07001