Re: [SLUG] streaming video across Internet

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Fri Dec 01 2006 - 14:17:53 EST

Jonathon Conte wrote:
> I recently learned about a device called SlingBox[1] that allows one to
> stream TV stations from one's home to any computer connected to the
> Internet. It made me curious to know how difficult it would be to
> implement something similiar with a Hauppauge TV tuner card and Linux.
>
> Has anyone on the list ever tried running a MythTV server at home and
> connecting to it from another Linux box across the Internet?

I plan on using MythTV to do the same thing. My goal is a to have a
simple web front end (authenticated) where I can either stream a live
channel or something pre-recorded. Music as well, of course.

>What other streaming video options exist for Linux that could handle a TV tuner
> card and/or video stored locally at home on a server? I assume the video
> server would need to downsample the video and audio on-the-fly in order
> to conserve bandwith.

Here is a FAQ that will help you match the codec with your available
upstream Internet bandwidth: http://www.stream-video.com/FQstream.htm

Check out http://www.videolan.org/vlc/streaming.html (GPL server)
This is what I am going to use to create the streams.

>I guess tunneling the connection through SSH would
> be a good choice for security unless it adds too much latency.
I'm not going to worry about encrypting the stream. Who care's if "they"
know I'm watching Lost or whatever? :)
I do care about authentication to my streams.

  What
> other factors might need to be considered for setting up something like
> this?

One thing I find annoying is that it seems in order to use your digital
cable channels you have to re-encode the analog output from the box and
an IR blaster so the server can change channels, a kludge IMO, but what
can you do?

> Jonathon

I haven't gotten very far but I plan on using Hauppauge 250\350
in a small form factor,aesthetically pleasing box which is installed in
my entertainment center. It should offer streams\music etc. to the
network, and DVR functions.

I am also curious who else out there has tackled this.

-Chris