Re: [SLUG] slow connection

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 22:48:12 EST

On Monday 18 December 2006 09:56, Chuck Hast wrote:
> Neph,
> I can send you a picture of my installation, the cable comes through the
> wall from the cable box with the lightning protection, and hits a 2 port
> splitter, one port goes to the TV's in the house and thier splitter, the
> other port goes to the modem. And as Robert said use RG6QS, and the good
> connectors, and the correct splitter, it also needs to be bi-directional,
> and should pass from 5 Mhz up. If I recall my cable technolog corretly the
> bearer signal is in the spectrum from 5MHz upt to 49Mhz or there abouts,
> and your splitters need to handle the spectrum flow both directions, and
> they need to handle the low end frequencies correctly or you will have
> problems on the return leg of your data link. I will send you a picture of
> my setup, I have the modem routers and hubs in the garage, all to where I
> can recycle the stuff and keep on going. If I need to check things out I
> just roll up a small table and put the laptop on it and plug into a open
> port and start poking.
>
> As someone else pointed out you can use WiFi and cut the wires... That is
> how I have things set up at the house, I do have some cable in the walls
> but do not use it right now just the wifi cards.
Who is your provider? My connection comes from the street to a fairly good
size box outside the house. The cables for TV and the Cable modem come
into my house to differant rooms. The cable modem connection is exclusively
meant for it. No splitters or amplifiers should be used on that connection.
Never attach a TV to it.
If you are talking about the TV cable connections, the frequencies involved
start somewhere above 49mhz and go up to somewhere around 800mhz.

                             Richard Smoot