Re: [SLUG] slow connection

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 09:56:03 EST

Neph,
I can send you a picture of my installation, the cable comes through the wall
from the cable box with the lightning protection, and hits a 2 port splitter,
one port goes to the TV's in the house and thier splitter, the other port goes
to the modem. And as Robert said use RG6QS, and the good connectors,
and the correct splitter, it also needs to be bi-directional, and should pass
from 5 Mhz up. If I recall my cable technolog corretly the bearer signal is in
the spectrum from 5MHz upt to 49Mhz or there abouts, and your splitters
need to handle the spectrum flow both directions, and they need to handle
the low end frequencies correctly or you will have problems on the return
leg of your data link. I will send you a picture of my setup, I have the modem
routers and hubs in the garage, all to where I can recycle the stuff and keep
on going. If I need to check things out I just roll up a small table and put
the laptop on it and plug into a open port and start poking.

As someone else pointed out you can use WiFi and cut the wires... That is
how I have things set up at the house, I do have some cable in the walls
but do not use it right now just the wifi cards.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;