Re: [SLUG] slow connection

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 23:35:17 EST

On 12/18/06, Richard Smoot <rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Who is your provider? My connection comes from the street to a fairly good
> size box outside the house. The cables for TV and the Cable modem come
> into my house to differant rooms. The cable modem connection is exclusively
> meant for it. No splitters or amplifiers should be used on that connection.
> Never attach a TV to it.

That is the way mine does, they put the box on the outside of the house, the
cable was brought through the wall to a mounting board for all of the cable
and network stuff. The short run from the cable d-mark to the first splitter was
about 1.5 feet, they installed a two port splitter, one to the TV;s and one to
the modem. That is the way it is. On the TV port I have a 4 port splitter for
the TV signals.

> If you are talking about the TV cable connections, the frequencies involved
> start somewhere above 49mhz and go up to somewhere around 800mhz.

I have the SOHO package, the commercial data rides on carriers at about
600 Mhz. I understand the regular home rr links run in the spectrum of 5
to 49 Mhz, when I got the SOHO service the engineer they sent out to inspect
it told me that I did not share the same spectrum as the home rr service, and
showed me a screen dump of the modem parameters including freqs, and
he told me about the differences between the business and home services.

Indeed the service has been pretty reliable. I use Vonage on it and it is
always there.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;