Re: [SLUG] slow connection

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2006 - 23:42:33 EST

Richard Smoot wrote:
> On Monday 18 December 2006 05:58, ronan wrote:
>
>> Paul M Foster wrote:

> I presume we are talking about Brighthouse and Roadrunner.

Cox actually.
> The connection they gave you for the cable modem is only for that.
> It is split off in the box on the outside of your house. There are filters
> in that box to separate the TV from the computer stuff.
The cable guy hooked up one connection and gave us a little kit with a
signal splitter and two cables - one for the TV, one for the modem. We
don't spend much time on the boob tube, which is why it hasn't been an
issue that the one back here doesn't work to an optimal level. It's
more of a novelty than anything to us.
> You might be able
> to extend that connection, but a doubled ended coupler and connectors will
> cost you at least 6db signal loss. Cat 5 is good for something like 300 feet.
> If you just need one connection, I would leave the router where it was and
> run ethernet where you need it.
This is the direction I'm leaning. I suppose I can get a signal bootser
for the one TV in here if I'm still experiencing a fuzzy picture at that
point.
> If you need more connections,
> I would add a switch in that room.
> To get TV to that room you can use your coax, splitters and amplifiers from
> your existing TV outlets. Be sure that the TV stuff is rated at least up
> 800mhz.

And how do I determine that?
> Never try to run a TV off the connection the cable modem is on.

This was how Cox instructed us to run it. I wouldn't know what else to do.