Re: [SLUG] Free Ryzom Campaign

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 20:08:33 EST

>From: "Robert Snyder" <robertsnyder@gmail.com>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: Re: [SLUG] Free Ryzom Campaign
>Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 18:51:42 -0500
>
>Yet there plan still does not slove the problem.
>
>All the servers tha people have used and created an online ecosystem with
>this game will go away. The project will bring on new character but the
>ones
>that you had worked on for ages would be gone. making this project
>pointless.
>
>allowing any yahoo to download the server and run there own private server
>is also not a move productive to make. We are not talking about some FPS
>that you and 15 of your friends get on. But a mmorpg that requires the
>hardware and the connection to support thousands of people at any given
>time.
>
>I play WoW all the time and while there are now reversed engineered servers
>out there in the private realm they are point less as they all have a
>population under 50. Some have a couple of hundred but that is still not
>replicating the experience that blizzard supplies. I belive the same to be
>true for Ryzom, they will have not be able to recreate what it users find
>great about it.

While having Ryzom under a free license would be a boon for Linux gamers on
its own merit as a polished MMORPG, think a little larger of the possible
technical benefits that the acquisitiion of Ryzom could provide.

* Artwork for other projects to re-use: The projects don't necessarily need
to be games either. Think of a collaborative film effort like the Orange
project[1] that may wish to use the Ryzom world as a backdrop. If all of the
3D models and story are under a free license, this would provide a great
deal of material to work with and require much less effort for results.
There may also be spin-off projects for the fans of Ryzom. Perhaps
screensavers featuring 3D animation from the game or similiar. This goes for
the Ryzom storyline as well. Others may wish to incorporate the Ryzom
characters and story with their own projects.

* Virtual world infrastructure: Ryzom represents a tested platform that
allows users to gather in dynamic virtual worlds. Again, this technology
need not be used specifically for games. The code could be adapted for for
use as group collaboration projects in a 3D environment or possibly even
used as the basis of a new desktop environment (think Croquet[2]). The
client/server protocol could be tailored to make use of the additional
bandwidth available on a fast LAN or optimized for low bandwidth.

The point is that just thinking of Ryzom as a MMORPG is a little
short-sighted. The FLOSS developer community is incredibly talented and
Ryzom would be at the very least a powerful tool from which to learn and
build upon.

Jonathon

[1] http://orange.blender.org/
[2] http://www.opencroquet.org/

Visit MSN Holiday Challenge for your chance to win up to $50,000 in Holiday
cash from MSN today!
http://www.msnholidaychallenge.com/index.aspx?ocid=tagline&locale=en-us