Re: [SLUG] A question of browsers

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Dec 25 2006 - 15:51:43 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:
> I have been looking at some web pages, and I notice that at times ff does
> not display some gif files that are on one page, but does on another.
>
> If I look at the pages with Opera, I can see all of the gif's, I have
> been on
> a google run to see if I could find anything about this problem, but so far
> I am either looking in the wrong place or I have something weird on this
> FireFox. I am just about ready to move to Opera anyhow, it just works
> regardless, the Fins have done a very good job with it.
>
> Here are the two web pages as examples, the first one does not show the
> gif's under firefox:
> http://www.k3pgp.org/frontend1.htm
>
> But the follow up does show the gif's in it:
> http://www.k3pgp.org/frontend2.htm
>
> I can see that both of them were done using nasty old frontpage, but the
> second one displays just fine.

The first uses standard URL syntax for its GIF URLs, e.g.:

http://www.k3pgp.org/Construction%5CFrontend%5Cpreamp.gif

The %5C translates to a backslash. So Microsoft Frontpage has generated
the URLs to have this syntax. The problem is that this is *not* where
the graphics are. They are (e.g.) here:

http://www.k3pgp.org/Construction/Frontend/preamp.gif

As this is an internet webserver serving these up, I'll bet that the
actual directory delimiter is a slash, not a backslash. But Frontpage,
being a Windows program, looks at a directory delimiter and thinks
backslash. And codes the URLs that way. This is a bug in Frontpage.
Unfortunately, IE and Opera must be compensating for this, and
translating the backslash into a slash when requesting the images.
Firefox is doing what is arguably the correct thing, and asking for the
precise URL, which is not found.

According to RFC 2396, the backslash character needs to be escaped when
used in URLs. It appears that Firefox is doing this properly. And I
assume that Apache 1.3 (which this server is running) is also doing the
correct thing by trying to serve up images with the exact URL requested
(including the unescaped backslashes).

The ultimate answer to your question is "don't use FrontPage". But that
doesn't really help your situation. If you don't like Firefox in the
first place, then this isn't going to make you like it more.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster