Re: [SLUG] misconfugured mailclient

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2007 - 06:48:28 EST

On Saturday 20 January 2007 23:51, chris lee wrote:
> who has the badly configured MailAssistant mail client?
>
> ns1.domain.com on eth0 ip MailAssistant warning: numerical links are
> often malicious: 192.168.1.100
> ns2.domain.com on eth1 ip MailAssistant warning: numerical links are
> often malicious: 192.168.1.101

I guess you are not familiar with RFC1918 which covers private networks and
non routed IPs over the Internet. The above addresses belong to one of three
ranges of IP's that one uses on internal networks. It is also the most
popular range of all. Thus MailAssistants warning is of no value.

The {Fraud?} {Disarmed} is a new one for me. Looks like some filter NKS is
using. What is really interesting are the jumps the messages are taking.
Looks like NKS is having fun routing email around.

Starting at google mail for example:
        wx-out-0506.google.com
        nks-ma-10.lvs.nks.net
        nks-mail-02.nks.net
        slug-list-00.ssn.nks.net
        slug-list-00.ssn.nks.net
        slug-list-00.nks.net

and then finally to my server. No doubt one of those servers add a fraud
check.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.