[SLUG] restoring a system from disk images

From: Bill Glidden (bill@thegliddenfamily.com)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 11:39:24 EST

I am attempting to clone a system. Here's what I did:

1. dd if=/dev/sda of=sda.mbr bs=512 count=1 # save the MBR

2. sfdisk /dev/sda >sda.sf # save extended
partition information

3. partimage save /dev/sda1 # root
partition (it was unmounted, I had booted from sysresccd image)

4. partimage save /dev/sda5

5. partimage save /dev/sda6

I save all these files on a machine on the network.

I boot up the system to be cloned, from sysresccd image, then I:

1. dd if=sda.mbr of=/dev/sda
2. sfdisk /dev/sda <sda.sf
3. partimage restore all 3 partitions

On one machine this worked like a champ. On the second machine, all that
happens when I boot is that I get the word "GRUB" on the screen and it
hangs.

Could I possibly have a bad disk? Anything wrong with the method I used?

Thanks.

Bill Glidden