Re: [SLUG] restoring a system from disk images

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 20:20:40 EST

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, Bill Glidden wrote:

> I am attempting to clone a system. Here's what I did:

[method]

> I save all these files on a machine on the network.
>

> I boot up the system to be cloned, from sysresccd image, then I:
>
> 1. dd if=sda.mbr of=/dev/sda
> 2. sfdisk /dev/sda <sda.sf
> 3. partimage restore all 3 partitions
>
> On one machine this worked like a champ. On the second machine, all that
> happens when I boot is that I get the word "GRUB" on the screen and it
> hangs.
>
> Could I possibly have a bad disk? Anything wrong with the method I used?

My gut reaction is to copy (if the targets are all at least as big as the
source, then "the whole disk", otherwise "each partition") into files on the
server. Then, on each client, munge the whole mess into a semblance of
order. But obviously that isn't scalable, so Chris Mathey's method sounds
good.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   http://royalty.mine.nu:81

"You're one of those condescending Unix computer users!" "Here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself a better computer" - Dilbert ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.