Re: [SLUG] slow connection

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Mon Mar 19 2007 - 10:16:24 EST

Chuck Hast wrote:
> On 12/17/06, michael hast <evylrobot19@cox.net> wrote:
>> Ken Elliott wrote:
>> > Usually, the cable company puts a splitter just before the cable
>> modem. One
>> > side of the split goes to the modem (50% of the signal) and the
>> other side
>> > goes to the TV, or another splitter. So if you have two TVs, they
>> each see
>> > 25% - half of the split signal from the first splitter. (That's
>> not exactly
>> > how it works, but it's close enough.)
>> >
>> > I'll bet you moved the cable modem to a "25%" connection. You
>> might be able
>> > to rewire things to allow a stronger signal to get to the modem. Each
>> > splitter drops the signal strength even more. You want the modem
>> directly
>> > connected on the first splitter, and you want it to be a 1 to 2
>> connection,
>> > and to be of very good quality.
>> >
>> That's probably my problem. On the first one to two, it goes to the
>> living room TV and then the home office. The next splitter goes from
>> the home office TV to the modem. I could test this by bypassing the
>> splitter in the home office and see if that improves things. If so,
>> then bingo, problem solved. Then I would have to run a second coax or
>> do like Chuck said and put the modem back in the living room.
>>
> Then you want to take one of the ports on the 2 way splitter and run
> it direct
> to the modem and the other gets the splitters and TV's ( you don't need
> them nasty old media TV's anyhow) That will also let you test the path
> and
> see if the cable is good.

I know that it has been eons since this thread, but I finally got the
urge to try and solve this problem. I put the modem back in the living
room and stretched cat5e across the house in the attic. Now, you should
all be pleased to know that I'm back up to lightning speed. I'm still
getting good reception on the living room tuner, and I can't speak for
any other TV in the house since I haven't tried. But, mission
accomplished. Yay!