RE: [SLUG] boot problems

From: Jonathon Conte (thesicktwist@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2007 - 08:39:25 EDT

>From: Eben King <eben01@verizon.net>
>To: slug@nks.net
>Subject: [SLUG] boot problems
>Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:09:38 -0500 (CDT)
>
>Hi, I got a new motherboard (etc), so naturally I'm
>having teething problems. There was an IDE error for
>hdc (my DVD-R drive), which I got around by unpowering
>the optical drives. (Funny, System Rescue CD didn't
>have a problem booting from that drive.
>
>Now it hangs (or waits a VERY long time) in the boot
>sequence after it goes through /etc/init.d and prints
>the line:
>
>process `syslogd' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT
>
>Anybody have a clue what's in Ubuntu's boot sequence
>there, or know how to make everything verbose? One
>file I can do easily enough with "set -x". Even if I
>could pick and choose things to run, I could work it
>out by process of elimination.
>
>Once that's fixed, I'll work on eth0, X, ALSA,
>lm_sensors...

Remove "quiet" and "splash" from the list of kernel options. You can do that
temporarily at startup from the grub boot menu or permanently from
/boot/grub/menu.lst.

Also, I'm not sure what version of Ubuntu you are running but Feisty Fawn,
the next version of Ubuntu, will be released in less than a week. It
contains the latest kernel, Xorg, etc. and would probably work much better
with brand new hardware. You could try it out with a live CD to check for
compatibility if you're nervous about just upgrading the system.

Jonathon

MSN is giving away a trip to Vegas to see Elton John.  Enter to win today.
http://msnconcertcontest.com?icid-nceltontagline