Re: [SLUG] Music Download Services

From: Rich Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 15:24:01 EDT

> Sufficient for Russia, not here. Visa/MasterCard have refused to honor
> payments to allofmp3.com. The RIAA has filed a $1.65 trillion lawsuit
> against them, and the existence of this website threatens to prevent the
> entry of Russia into the WTO. See the Wikipedia article.

I find it very fascinating that the Recording Industry Association of
*America* is able to strong arm multinational companies like Visa into
blocking payments to apparently perfectly legal Russian companies. I also
find it very fascinating that the RIAA can coerce national governments
into blocking other sovereign nations' attempts to join the World Trade
Organization.

Given these and the many other offenses committed against mankind by the
RIAA/MPAA mafia, I'm really starting to have the opinion that anything
they don't like is probably good for the consumer.

Honestly, is this a perfect example of everything the Open Source
community stands for, philosophically speaking? Freedom of choice against
an abusive monopoly? I've never purchased anything from allofmp3.com but
I'm seriously tempted to just because.

v/r,
Rich Morgan
Open Addict.com