Re: [SLUG] Music Download Services

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue May 22 2007 - 00:11:54 EDT

On Monday 21 May 2007 15:24, Rich Morgan wrote:
> > Sufficient for Russia, not here. Visa/MasterCard have refused to honor
> > payments to allofmp3.com. The RIAA has filed a $1.65 trillion lawsuit
> > against them, and the existence of this website threatens to prevent the
> > entry of Russia into the WTO. See the Wikipedia article.
>
> I find it very fascinating that the Recording Industry Association of
> *America* is able to strong arm multinational companies like Visa into
> blocking payments to apparently perfectly legal Russian companies. I also
> find it very fascinating that the RIAA can coerce national governments
> into blocking other sovereign nations' attempts to join the World Trade
> Organization.

They are not. It's the copyright law. The Russian laws are different than most
others when it comes to copyright. That's all.

Though I agree that RIAA is a nasty and incompetent bunch that should be
driven out of business. Much to the benefit of the artists.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.