Re: [SLUG] Music Download Services

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 15:44:36 EDT

Levi Bard wrote:

>> > That should be sufficient, as they're also only located in Russia.
>> >

>> Sufficient for Russia, not here. Visa/MasterCard have refused to honor
>> payments to allofmp3.com. The RIAA has filed a $1.65 trillion lawsuit
>> against them, and the existence of this website threatens to prevent the
>> entry of Russia into the WTO. See the Wikipedia article.
>
> Just because the RIAA disapproves doesn't make it illegal. I hope
> Russia stands firm and refuses to be bullied into accepting this kind
> of extremely distributor-oriented copyright law, since it's too late
> for us.

I agree with you. And it would be alright if allofmp3.com or Russia
*paid* artists for their work. I couldn't care less if BMI, ASCAP or the
RIAA gets a dime, but the artists should be paid for their work. And
that's apparently not happening here.

I was thinking about this the other day, and you hear a lot about
scofflaws and bad guys in the press. Makes it sound like there's an
awful lot of them. But the truth is that most people don't have any
desire or impetus to break laws (other than speeding laws which are an
evil conspiracy ;-). Given that fact, it would probably be better if the
RIAA and MPAA stopped treating honest people like criminals and actually
ferreted out the truly bad guys. Of course, there is a theory that
dishonest people tend to treat other people as though they, too, are
dishonest. Just a theory, though. ;-}

And of course, paying the artists directly would just drive the
distributors around the bend, wouldn't it?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster