Re: [SLUG] Music Download Services

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Mon May 21 2007 - 20:58:10 EDT

Mason Mullins wrote:
> Yes, but an artist isn't "labor". The music they produce IS the "goods
> they sell" and as such they deserve to be paid for it just as much as
> anyone else who produces and sells a product. If you produced a product
> for sale and someone else copied that product and sold it or gave it
> away, effectively cutting your sales, I would imagine you'd be a tad
> upset about that. Same thing.

What about the exposure of an artists music due to "illegal"
downloading? I have attended concerts to see musicians solely because I
downloaded it and listened. The current business model you are arguing
is outdated and as you see needs serious changes.

If I could find an online music retailer that charged a fair price for
non DRM saddled music then I would surely patronize them. To me it would
be worth it do goto an one-stop-shop to get a full album that is of high
sound quality for a FAIR price. $0.99 iTunes DRM garbage is a rip off.

-Chris