Re: [SLUG] Music Download Services

From: Andrew Martin (amartin@ics.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 11:43:11 EDT

> What about the exposure of an artists music due to "illegal"
> downloading? I have attended concerts to see musicians solely because
> I downloaded it and listened. The current business model you are
> arguing is outdated and as you see needs serious changes.
>

> If I could find an online music retailer that charged a fair price for
> non DRM saddled music then I would surely patronize them. To me it
> would be worth it do goto an one-stop-shop to get a full album that is
> of high sound quality for a FAIR price. $0.99 iTunes DRM garbage is a
> rip off.
>

> -Chris

I agree with you that there are many positive aspects of illegal (no
quotes) downloading for artists. It certainly helps disseminate music
to more people and this is great for a touring band/act. Also, a lot of
acts don't make any real money off of album sales because of the way
their record deals are structured. This problem is, though, that
recording and touring are two completely different things. An artist
shouldn't have to tour just to make money if they are only interested in
writing and recording (think later Beatles, Brian Wilson, Steely Dan et
al.). It's really their decision to make if, when and how much they
have to tour. Likewise some artist have no problems giving away their
recorded music and that's great too, but it's their decision to make,
not yours. I'm not sure how outdated the model is or not, but it
doesn't give you license to try and break the model. A crude analogy
would be going to the grocery store and saying, "well, there is a glut
of milk in the world marketplace so I should just steal this gallon of
milk because the model is outdated." It's still stealing.