Re: [SLUG] The End of an Era for SLUG?

From: michael hast (evylrobot19@cox.net)
Date: Sat May 26 2007 - 07:34:23 EDT

Chuck Hast wrote:
> On 5/26/07, xcalibre <xcalibre@mindspring.com> wrote:
>> Thanks Everyone,
>> The thing is for over 8 close to 9 years I have been doing these
>> meetings... Time fly's as they say...
>> We have had meetings that Rocked and yes some that were not so
>> great... I try to keep the topic on Linux and perhaps was one of the
>> most driven at one point... How ever with attendance so low it's time
>> to shift things... How ever here is a small reflection of things that
>> I was fortunate to be part of and try to make happen for SLUG...
>>
>> We have had times when people would bring in the PC's and needed help
>> to get distro's installed...
>> We have had Networking demos... An time we got a Gamming Network
>> setup for Quake... We did Firewalls; we did pier to pier between
>> laptops... We did p2p networking with a Linux and Windows, and Mac...
>> Installed Linux on PC's Laptops and MAC's and more...
>>
>> We have done Presentations for the PC Users group... and Bits and
>> Bytes Computer Group...
>>
>> We have had demos of the different Distros, we have had demos of
>> applications Open Office, Star Office, KDE's Office... We have had
>> demos on Win4lin, and VMware... We have had presentations from Robin
>> Miller 3 times, Norb, Myself, Jeff, Russell, and more a lot more...
>>
>> We have done Computer shows and were able to have exclusives Red Had
>> 6.0 Official debut, Xandros 2.0 debut... For the Shows getting Guest
>> in from Red Hat 2 times, Turbo Linux, S.u.S.E.'s Holgar Dryoff, Robin
>> Miller 3 times, CEO of Xandros, and again more and more including 2
>> times John"Maddog"Hall...
>>
>> For the shows we have had at one time up to 2 Pickup Trucks and a
>> Lincoln Town Car Trunk loaded with Swag for a Show the CTS in
>> Clearwater...5000 Copies of Linux Journal for that!!!
>>
>> Next have literally spent over hundreds of hours on calls and emails
>> to get things lined up... Have spent literally several hundreds of
>> dollars on those calls out of pocket!!!
>>
>> Did the Linux 10 Picnic which our Magic the Gathering Game was
>> interrupted bye one killer bolt of lightning for the ones who were
>> there can tell you about this one...
>>
>> Have also had members from other Lugs come in and do shows with us...
>>
>> So for the few who do not think that I am not into Linux and Open
>> Source and care this is about 75% of things that was arranged... So
>> to the ones who don't think that I have done much with Linux or tried
>> too make things happen... Just thought I would share a few things
>> that I have tried to do and have events and guest and presentations
>> for SLUG..
>>
>> Call it a burn out stage or what ever I don't know... I am committed
>> to Linux and Open Source and most of all the Community... There is
>> other things I have been involved with as well and they all tied in
>> with getting SLUG involved with them as well...
>>
>> Getting back on Track this announcement was to say Thank You and in
> [...]
Bill, that was quite a rant. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm
wrong, but I don't think any of that was intended as a personal attack
on you. I can see how it could have been taken that way, but I don't
think anybody meant any harm.
Chuck, it was nice seeing you the other day, speaking of traveling.
Sorry I wasn't any better company. There are some nasty bugs going around.
Everyone else, The only reason that I have not come to any meetings is
that whole OK address deal. I know that there are some LUG's in OK, but
I've had a heck of a time finding one that is as competent as this one.
Most of the people around here that use Linux are less knowledgeable
than I am. Which speaks to the growing ease-of-use of Linux! Anyway, I
just thought I'd throw that in there.

--Michael