Re: [SLUG] The End of an Era for SLUG?

From: Matt Florell (astmattf@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 12:47:49 EDT

On 5/26/07, Dylan William Hardison <dylan@hardison.net> wrote:
> Spake Ron Youvan on Friday, May 25, 2007 at 08:28PM -0400:
> > Aseterix was discussed, but it appears to be nothing of value to me (I
> > hate telephones, I'm a HAM that uses his mike to hold his headset) and I
> > don't think I have any use for it to this day. (It's a great LINUX
> > development!)
>
> Asterix is one of the most boring topics to ever come up a LUG meeting,
> in my opinion. ;)
>
> I also really hate phones, but I'm not a HAM. Sounds like a fun thing
> though.

The Tampa Asterisk meetings have been growing in attendance recently.
We have people regularly coming from as far away as Orlando and Ocala
every month.

Asterisk seems a lot more "next frontier" than Linux is at this
moment, and I suppose that our conversations and presentations would
be quite boring to someone not working with telephones on a daily
basis, but it is a huge growth market for Linux.

There are die hard Windows companies that have allowed Asterisk on to
their networks and are getting exposed to Linux this way. Asterisk has
turned into a great gateway-to-Linux use for these companies. I saw
one company move their phones from an old Nortel system to Asterisk,
and then move their Mail to Linux, and now they are running their
website on Apache/PHP.

If you aren't extremely bored by telco-talk, our next Asterisk meeting
is June 5th in Largo. I'll be posting later this week with more about
the meeting anyway.

MATT---