Re: [SLUG] DVD iso

From: SOTL (sotl155360@bellsouth.net)
Date: Mon Jun 04 2007 - 17:29:27 EDT

On Sunday 03 June 2007 18:05, Ron Youvan wrote:
> > Bypass k3b and use the force, Luke:
> >
> > CDR_DEVICE=ATAPI:0,0,0 CDR_SPEED=8 dvdrecord driveropts=burnfree -dao
> > linux-2007-spring-free-dvd-i586.iso
> >
> > (one line)
> >
> > Not sure how that "CDR_DEVICE" works; maybe that means "the first
> > compatible writer"; it's hdc, so probably none of those 0s means "the
> > secondary bus".
>
> With the 2.4.N kernels, if you are using an IDE rerecordable you must
> pass (to the kernel at boot time): hdb=ide-scsi (this is from my dmesg) or
> whatever your CD-RW or DVD-RW is) this may be the actual problem. (2.6.N
> kernels, I know not.)
>
> In this case ATAPI:1,2,3 means buss #2, (SCSI or USB the first buss is
> 0), device @2 on that buss, and LUN #3 (the third slot in the multi slot
> device, like a 4 slot CD player. ATAPI:0,0,0 is buss 1, device 1 and LUN 1
> the first of everything.

This is occurring in OpenSuSE10.2, Fedora6, and Scientific Linux 4.0.

It has occurred since I built the boxes which was in the 2,4 kernel days and
indeed you did at one time have to do what you suggest. After your posting I
recall that.

After looking a device addresses it is my firm belief that I have the two
ribbon cables cross puttong the recorders at hda=3,0,1 and hdb=3,64,1. This
may not be correct but from the number of different operating systems that
have been in this box and that everone has had this issue I believe it is a
hardware issue and that is the only thing that I can think of that it might
be.

Thanks

SOTL