Re: [SLUG] DVD iso

From: Robin \(Bartow FL\) (suncoastlug.mailbox@gibp.com)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2007 - 07:47:34 EDT

> Note: Regardless of port, I set my hard drives to master and my ATAPI devices to slave. Then write from my port 1 master or slave to my port 2 slave ATAPI device. Reading from one channel and writing to another has worked best for me. Mixing fast and slow devices on a channel does not degrade throughput in instances where you are only using one device at a time per channel.
>
> /robin

Addendum:

Generally speaking, IO on a hard drive is faster than reading from a ATAPI device. Reading from a ATAPI device is faster than writing to a ATAPI device. When your OS and apps are loaded, you don't need much IO from hda. Sharing your two faster devices on port 1 maximizes throughput available to your slowest process of writing to hdd (ATAPI device).

/robin