Re: [SLUG] Picture card in PCMCIA slot

From: Possum (possum@possumism.net)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2007 - 14:07:10 EDT

Pete Theisen wrote:
> Hi Everybody!
>
> I am using KDE on Gentoo. I inserted a picture storage card from my
camera
> into the PCMCIA slot, using a Kodak carrier that came with the camera.
I have
> no idea what to do from there. I have looked at everything on every
menu and
> can't see them. Can't even see anything that says PCMCIA. I know the
PCMCIA
> is working because my network interface is in the other slot and I can go
> online normally.
>
> I rebooted it on the odd chance, the boot messages see the pcmcia
> slots, "watching two slots" was the phrase used.
>
> The last time I got pictures from this camera I took them to my
friend's house
> and he burned a cd with them on, but it seems to me that the PCMCIA card
> should read them as well. Of course, I need to email the pictures
somewhere
> right now.

You have to make sure you have PCMCIA support compiled into your kernel.
To find out what kind of PCMCIA controller you have, here's an example:

$ /usr/sbin/lspci | grep CardBus
00:0b.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI4510 PC card Cardbus
Controller (rev 02)
00:0c.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI1410 PC card Cardbus
Controller (rev 01)

It might not be called CardBus. You might also need to emerge
pcmciautils and/or pcmcia-cs (I needed both to get my PCMCIA wireless
card working). Also, read the relevant portions of:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_on_laptops

as it goes more indepth on what needs to be compiled into your kernel.

One potential pitfall, even after doing all this, is that your kernel
may not support the filesystem (in most cases from a phone or camera it
will be vfat). Make sure you have vfat support.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

- --
Possum
http://possum.kicks-ass.org/