Re: [SLUG] dead or Alive

From: Chris Mathey (slug@mathey.org)
Date: Fri Aug 10 2007 - 14:00:34 EDT

> I'm sold on Chris Mathey's dollars and sense idea.
> http://slug.archives.nks.net/List/slug.archive.0708/0038.html
>
> Instead of buying more hardware and electricity, do just the opposite and increase available room space.
>
> If I found that virtualization stumped me, or did not suit my purpose, I would up-size my existing vent (and flex duct) coming from the main plenum.
>
> /robin

In case anyone is interested...

Here is my current setup:
Server:
AMD Opteron dual core
4GB dual channel DDR400
80GB SATA 3g mounted /
2x SATA 400GB RAID 1 (mobo raid) mounted /home
micro-ATX,

The host OS is opensuse10.2 which runs Vmware server 1.03 out of the
box. The host also runs a Samba server which shares out the 400GB RAID
I configure all the VM's to start when the hostOS is booting.

VM's that are currently running.
-Trixbox (CentOS 4.5) Opensource PBX based on Asterisk. - This runs my
phone system
- Ubuntu - DHCP,DNS,Postfix,network monitoring,anything else I want to
run on Linux
- Windows XP - My work machine
- development VM - to play with new distro's or load up various VM's I have

my main workstation is high end and for gaming, video transcoding,
web\email.

The only way to access your VM's on VMWare host is via the console,
which is an application that can run from the host or remote. It
connects to the VMWare server not the individual VM's. In other words
say my work VM has a VPN running. The VPN client defaults all traffic to
the tunnel, so this means no RDP or VNC remote desktop. The VMWare
console connects to the Host OS via TCP port 904 and allows me to
manipulate any VM's that are running, including full screen, quick
switch, etc.

/with only one 24/7 machine in my closet rack my office stays nice and
cool!