Re: [SLUG] PCMCIA Hell

From: Chuck Hast (wchast@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Aug 19 2007 - 12:56:56 EDT

On 8/19/07, Pete Theisen <petetheisen@verizon.net> wrote:
> On Sunday 19 August 2007 07:13, Chuck Hast wrote:
>
> Hi Chuck!
>
> I remember that a friend of mine set up Gentoo with the 2.6 kernel on my
> Toshiba and the PCMCIA did work. The box is no longer here because of a LOT
> of hardware/firmware issues that I think Toshiba puts there on purpose to
> drive "repairs" or upgrades, but the PCMCIA did work.
>
> Now Gentoo set-up is a full-time job, that's why I had him do it, but if you
> are up to doing it, Gentoo is a possibility.

I had thought about that route but since this machine is only a 233MHz
machine with only 160m of ram I fear it would take forever to get it done...

Actually all I need is the comms stuff and I need to add the amateur radio
AX25 and networking stuff but this machine is only a little bit higher in level
than a router, it is sort of a router/protocol converter... It needs to handle
the usual suspects plus the amateur radio protocols. I need something that
I can put the latest kernel on.

I never had any issues with the 2.4 kernels, indeed the 2.4 kernel was a most
uneventful install on that machine, There was a video driver issue which I fixed
real fast, just downloaded a new one and installed it, but that machine only ran
X for about 2 days and that was it, in text mode the video driver was a non-
issue.

--
Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
To paraphrase my flight instructor;