Re: [SLUG] Yet Another Hardware thread

From: Mike Branda (mike@wackyworld.tv)
Date: Tue Aug 28 2007 - 13:03:55 EDT

Paul M Foster wrote:
> I have an ATX case with a 400W PS in it, and an IDE hard drive with
> all my data on it, and a DVD drive. Here's what I want:
>
> motherboard
> 1G memory (DDR2)
> video card with DVI output (PCI Express)
> support for SATA and IDE drives
> support for floppy
> 2-4GHz processor, 32 bit
> on-board sound, USB, etc. (the usual, these days)
>
> Paul

Paul,

I've had great luck with OEM Intel boards (perl models) for P4 and with
Biostar boards and Linux.

For SATA, make sure the mobo or controller card has NCQ support. see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

http://linux-ata.org/driver-status.html#hw_support

Personally, I like the Silicon Image 3124 chipset.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124008&Tpk=sil3124

Do you have a max price point? Newegg is absolutely amazing FYI. We've
been using them for about 4 years now. Their price point is competitive
and their customer service is awesome.

If you really want 32 bit, here's a P4 3.0E for 79.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116027

For graphics, I recommend NVIDIA. Although proprietary (gasp), their
driver installs really easily and works far better on linux than ATI in
my experience (several dozen machines).

Here's a general search of PCI Express NVIDIA cards on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+1069609641+1305520548&Configurator=&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

Hope this helps.

Mike Branda Jr.