Re: [SLUG] webcams

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2007 - 17:02:08 EDT

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Robin - Bartow FL wrote:

>>> The Canon position can be found at
>>> http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=SDKHomePageAct&keycode=Sdk_Lic&fcategoryid=320&modelid=10468&id=3464
>>
>> IOW, you have to buy the SDK to find out how it works, yes?
>
> I only provided the link to show Canon "lack" of support.
>
>> But nobody's figured out how
>> yet (well, someone has, and it'll cost $25, TYVM), and Canon isn't saying
>> for less than the price of the SDK.
>
> I differ in your assessment.
>
> http://capture.sourceforge.net/
> clearly indicates support for your camera

I'm in the process of getting and compiling that. But the blurb at
http://capture.sourceforge.net/ says "Capture is a tool for periodic image
capturing with digital Canon cameras". Fine, it can take stills. If it can
take a still every 200ms, that'll do. Doesn't have to do sound (even though
the camera has a mic), as I have another mic. Have you used it, or do I
need to find out for myself?

> http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php
> makes reference to "PTP mode"

Stills, downloading of (I think).

> http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/FAQ.html#FAQ-camera-support
> says your camera "will likely work" (PTP)

Yes, I have gphoto. It downloads things from the camera. Doesn't do remote
operations TTBOMK.

> http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html
> makes reference to "PTP"
> gphoto2/canon (post-2.1.4) (usb)
> PTP (usb)
> gphoto2/ptp (usb)
>
> The above applications may even be available through a live distro.
>
> It's your time and money.
> I was just suggesting a way to preserve both.

Fair enough.

--
-eben   QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP   royalty.mine.nu:81
         Two atoms are walking along.  Suddenly, one