Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Thu Sep 20 2007 - 11:54:44 EDT

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, Chris Mathey wrote:

> Rich Morgan wrote:
>>> Hopefully everyone will stop worrying about fancy looking GUI and just
>>> make the application work and keep it simple!!!
>>
>> It can be argued that the improved user interfaces have enabled more
>> people to use computers. Since we're a fast food culture that wants
>> everything "on demand", you're not likely to see a rash of
>> Blackbox-on-Slackware users anytime soon.
>>
>> There's a quote I heard the other day that really hit home with me
>> (paraphrased): "If you really don't like change, you'll like irrelevance
>> even less."
>
> See, I like fancy. Take Vista for instance. I really think it's slick and run
> it on my main workstation. Simple is boring to someone who likes these kind
> of toys. I'm definitely not trying to start a OS debate.
> I'm just saying if everything was status quo like you say, where does
> innovation come from?

Functionality. Increased capacity. Improved algorithms, actually lowering
CPU/RAM demands for once.

--
-eben     QebWenE01R@vTerYizUonI.nOetP     royalty.mine.nu:81

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." -- Albert Einstein ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.