Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: Rich Morgan (rmorgan@heavysystems.com)
Date: Fri Sep 21 2007 - 10:23:17 EDT

> How about SMALLER software and SMALLER demands in
> our hardware, code that is simplified and compacted
> and logical. There are so many areas to explore..

If you want small, simple code use any of the early distro's based on one
of the first few kernel versions. Or try Minix. Just don't expect much
(if any) of your modern hardware to work.

That's the problem many people don't get - it takes very complicated code
under the hood to present an intuitive, beautiful, stable interface that
supports the myriad of hardware you can walk into Best Buy and purchase.
No home user, except for a hardcore fringe, is going to go back to the
pure CLI days. The more abundant and complicated code becomes, the more
resources it needs to appear to have the same performance of yesterday's
system.

Back to the original topic of IBM's office suite. It's a great product
and IBM has borrowed a play from the Open Source Community's playbook. By
releasing their own free office suite, they're gonna chip away at
Microsoft's dominance. It may not be big, but combined with all of our
small efforts, we're actually forcing Microsoft to adjust to the market
*we've* created.

v/r,
Rich Morgan
Heavy Systems