Re: [SLUG] IBM

From: Paul M Foster (paulf@quillandmouse.com)
Date: Mon Sep 24 2007 - 21:53:16 EDT

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 12:55:55PM -0500, SOTL wrote:

> On Sunday 23 September 2007 18:50, Levi Bard wrote:
> > > Well I am writing this in OpenOffice.
> > > I attempted to start Open Office a minute ago and it started but I must
> > > have double clicked again (I have my Linux box set up for single click)
> >
> > So, what this sentence says to me is that you've intentionally
> > configured your desktop in such a way that you're unable to use it...
> >
> In KDE, I do not know about Gnome as I do not use it, you can set a mouse up
> for single or double click.
>
> With single click you save 50% of click motion over double click -
> most times.
> Which is is a big deal for tired fingers.
>
> Unfortunately, at work I use XP which is double click.
>
> If you double click OpenOffice with a computer set up for single click and
> your click rate is fast enough then instead of opening 2 OpenOffice windows
> it has the tendency to open half way and freeze. Most Linux programs once
> open will not recognize the double opening until after the first version is
> opened. Try opening 2 Kmail windows. You can not. When OpenOffice freezes it
> is always with the OpenOffice banner blocking the screen. The only means of
> getting rid of the banner is log out and log back in or sometimes you can get
> rid of it by opening OpenOffice again. On the latter score what generally
> happens is that you open 5, 10,15 windows and it takes for ever to open
> OpenOffice.

I can completely understand why OO will open more than one iteration
when prompted. I suspect your problem is that your machine hasn't enough
clear (unfragmented) memory to open two iterations at once. I
unknowingly opened two Firebird instances a while back, and it took ten
minutes to switch between applications, as the disk thrashed constantly.
Linux doesn't like it when you push its memory limits, and OO being such
a pig, it wouldn't surprise me if that would be enough to send Linux
into thrashland.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster