Re: [SLUG] choppy audio over IAX trunk in Asterisk

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2007 - 19:36:49 EDT

On Friday 26 October 2007, Chris Mathey wrote:
> > If you pass through any router see if it supports TOS.
>
> I get consistent sub 40ms rtt between hosts. Also when the trunk is SIP
> between the 2 hosts there is no issue (same codec g.711).
> The choppy audio only comes from the B side. B side can hear me fine.

Getting 40ms does not mean packets cannot be coming in late, or out of order.
Ping is using icmp while your voice is on udp, routers can deal with either in
any way all according to how they have been programmed.

However swapping with SIP is pretty telling as it does indicate an issue with
iax.

Of course there are known issues with iax but usually only when you get up to
50 simultaneous connections. I got several Asterisk servers running iax and
do not see your issue.

I'd suggest you sign up with the asterisk user list, which is a very high
volume list, and others have probably run into it.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.