Re: [SLUG] Mac (SCSI) HD

From: Mario Lombardo (mario@alienscience.com)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2007 - 14:36:08 EST

Eben King wrote:
> I'm trying to read (and back up) a Mac-formatted (HFS+) hard drive.
> Anyone done this, or have any ideas? I have it hooked to the external
> port on my card, which is an Adaptec 7940UW(?), driver=aic7xxx. I
> have to compile in (or modularize) support for the Mac partitioning
> scheme and the HFS+ filesystem; I may have already done that, and even
> if I haven't I should still see the raw disk, right?
>
> No new disks show up when I turn it on. "fdisk -l /dev/sde" returns
> nothing. (New SCSI/USB disks start at sde because I already have a
> card reader that takes up sda-sdd.)
>
> I don't much care about being able to access the files here (it'd be
> nice though), as long as they go back properly.

If your disk isn't coming up, I would look at a SCSI termination
problem. Look up the jumpers of the disk online, see if it is terminated.

FYI, Mac OS 7.3 is a free download from Apple. I don't remember if it
supports HFS+ though. In fact, I'd say probably not, but I have used
MacOS 7.3 for other purposes when licensing was an issue. It does work,
and it's fast, like good for a Mac rescue for hardware that qualifies.

What does
cat /proc/partitions
show? Any new ones?

/mario