Re: [SLUG] Tired of having no sound

From: logan (thelogan@allyourbase-arebelongto.us)
Date: Fri Dec 14 2007 - 20:53:39 EST

On Thu, 2007-12-13 at 23:08 -0500, Matthew Rogers wrote:
> This is going to sound silly but run aumix and you might see your cards
> sound turned town. You've got AC97 sound, it one of the most generic
> chipsets out there so it should work.
>
> In my ubuntu I've got 2 mixers that show up, I had to mess with the
> preferences to have it default to the correct one. That may be an
> avenue for you as well.

<snip top post>

Most of the desktops I've used: KDE, GNOME, XCFE, etc., when you fire up
their specific mixer, have all channels muted. Plunge into your
multimedia directory, fire up the mixer and make sure your channels
aren't muted.

I imagine they're muted for your own protection: so when you install,
fire up something like XMMS, and for some crazy reason the volume on
everything is maxed, you won't blow a speaker. I use Debian and that's
what my net install disk always yields. Muted channels. YMMV.

The Logan

--
Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
Registered Linux User: 277727