Re: [SLUG] hardware ? and Linux

From: steve szmidt (steve@szmidt.org)
Date: Tue Jan 08 2008 - 06:18:19 EST

On Monday 07 January 2008, Eben King wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, William Coulter wrote:
> > I am still not getting this RAM thing. Do I have to buy 2 sticks of RAM
> > or can I 2 2gig sticks. This is what I am thinking of getting. What do
> > you think?
> > GeIL Value Series 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> > Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144064
>
> My motherboard (Asus something-SLi -- lemme know if it's important and I'll
> try harder) supports interleaving RAM, so if you get two identical sticks
> and put them in the right slots, you get faster access (the BIOS implies it
> and MEMTEST86 says so, but I haven't timed it) than if you had one
> double-size stick. There are four slots, so I guess I can go up to 8 GB.

Yes, this is an important factor. RAM is a bottleneck with the needed delay
before it can be re-read. Using dual slot RAM is important and should always
be done. Note they need to be a matched pair.

Using SLI is for processing video faster by linking two or three SLI ready
video cards. Typically used by gamers.

--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided as an unmoderated internet service by Networked Knowledge Systems (NKS). Views and opinions expressed in messages posted are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of NKS or any of its employees.