Re: [SLUG] hardware ? and Linux

From: Eben King (eben01@verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2008 - 20:36:27 EST

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, William Coulter wrote:

> I am still not getting this RAM thing. Do I have to buy 2 sticks of RAM or
> can I 2 2gig sticks. This is what I am thinking of getting. What do you
> think?
> GeIL Value Series 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual
> Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144064

My motherboard (Asus something-SLi -- lemme know if it's important and I'll
try harder) supports interleaving RAM, so if you get two identical sticks
and put them in the right slots, you get faster access (the BIOS implies it
and MEMTEST86 says so, but I haven't timed it) than if you had one
double-size stick. There are four slots, so I guess I can go up to 8 GB.

--
A well-lovd and corrctly traind domstc cnine is gnrlly slobbry, excitbl,
noisy, scatologically obsessed, xenophobic, pathetically unjudgmental,