Re: [SLUG] hardware ? and Linux

From: Matthew Rogers (matt@runithard.com)
Date: Mon Jan 07 2008 - 20:29:26 EST

William Coulter wrote:
> On your advice, I looked at the Phenom quad and you are right. I did
> build a box that is better and few pennies less. I might buy 2 video
> cards and do SLI. That will be interesting. How much RAM do you
> have? I see a lot of AMD MBs that have 16gig RAM, how do I get that
> much RAM or close to it? If I can find a way to expand to at least
> 8gig that would be great.
> GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128075
>
> I am still not getting this RAM thing. Do I have to buy 2 sticks of
> RAM or can I 2 2gig sticks. This is what I am thinking of getting.
> What do you think?
> GeIL Value Series 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
> Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144064

Hello William, for ram that board has 4 slots so 16 / 4 = 4.

So you need 4, 4 gig sticks.You need 2 8 Gig kits.

That board is very pricey, this board is 80$ cheaper and I don't see a
difference except this one has all good reviews. Same chipset.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128075

My PC has 2 gigs of ram and a Dual Core Athlon CPU. 16 gigs is a TON of
ram. I was thinking I might go 4 gigs on my next quad core box. I find
that right now I tend to have between a gig to 500 megs free with 2 gigs
running all my applications.

I do have to close applications though if I play a game of world of
warcraft (which can use 2 gigs on it's own, but it think this is a CPU
issue since both cores are at 100%).

I have a 7900GT video card with a SLI board. I thought I would buy
another card at some point but they stopped selling that chip set awhile
ago.... so my advice is unless your going to buy a duplicate card right
off, don't bank on SLI.

Good luck on your new PC =)

--Cheers,
Matthew Rogers