Re: [SLUG] Semi-experienced Python Programmers?

From: ronan (ronan@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jan 30 2008 - 19:39:29 EST

Career-wise, tying your fortunes to C++ are an OK move. Tying them to
Java is probably survivable. But ideally, you should be a well-rounded
"developer", who understands everything from CPU registers and microcode
through 4GLs. A good way to acquire, and demonstrate, low-level
knowledge is to work with low-level languages and tools.

Hiring someone who considers themself a "Python programmer" is like
hiring a race car driver who thinks that his car runs on magic
go-juice. No, a driver doesn't have to be a full-time mechanic (or
assembly programmer), but they should have a decent understanding of
their drivetrain and critical systems. This makes them a better driver,
even if they never pop the hood again.

A developer who also has years of Python experience is fine, but a
developer who is entry-level and considers themself to be a "Python
programmer"? Sounds like a short, painful, career.

--ronan