Re: [SLUG] Semi-experienced Python Programmers?

From: Tyler Vann-Campbell (tyler.v@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2008 - 08:18:14 EST

On Jan 30, 2008 7:39 PM, ronan <ronan@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Career-wise, tying your fortunes to C++ are an OK move. Tying them to
> Java is probably survivable. But ideally, you should be a well-rounded
> "developer", who understands everything from CPU registers and microcode
> through 4GLs. A good way to acquire, and demonstrate, low-level
> knowledge is to work with low-level languages and tools.

I'll agree with you that if you don't understand the basic structure of a
computer, including registers, main memory, cache design, etc. you will be a
poorer programmer, just as failing to understand simple data structures will
ultimately lead to being an ineffective programmer.

The other side of this is that a vast majority of programming problems don't
require a treatise on lambda calculus, and development time and
maintainability tends to be a larger constraint.

> Hiring someone who considers themself a "Python programmer" is like
> hiring a race car driver who thinks that his car runs on magic
> go-juice. No, a driver doesn't have to be a full-time mechanic (or
> assembly programmer), but they should have a decent understanding of
> their drivetrain and critical systems. This makes them a better driver,
> even if they never pop the hood again.
>
> A developer who also has years of Python experience is fine, but a
> developer who is entry-level and considers themself to be a "Python
> programmer"? Sounds like a short, painful, career.
>
> --ronan

Ultimately, applying a "one tool fits all" mentality is limiting.
Sometimes C++ or Java is the best tool to solve a problem. A good portion
of programming is knowing the right tool for the job. I'll never forget
talking to a friend of mine who was just beginning to write code, and he had
an assignment for class in which he had to implement a list and write a
function to reverse it. He had the option to pick any language, I told him
to use Lisp. His reaction when he realized how nauseatingly simple Lisp
made this task was priceless.

As for functional vs procedural in general, I'm kind of with Paul. They're
pretty, but sometimes I want to iterate instead of recurse.

--
"The power of the computer is marvelous, and the cost of computer power is
small, and you can over time build files that have lots of information on