Re: [SLUG] Fedora on Dell Vostro Laptop

From: Richard Smoot (rsmoot@tampabay.rr.com)
Date: Wed May 21 2008 - 12:40:35 EDT

On Tuesday 20 May 2008 16:00, richard wrote:
> I'll need some time to prepare for the transition to Linux again. Once I'm
> ready, I'll tackle the install again on this laptop.
>
> I use certain Windows Apps that are extremely hard to get away from. I
> rely on my laptop big time for the functionality that these apps supply.
> I'd be ready to switch over if it weren't for the following list of apps:
>
> Adobe Premiere (video creation)
> Paint Shop Pro X2 (well aware of Gimp - though - it isn't PSP)
> Nero Burning (I create DVD layouts with this)
> Torrent client (I know Linux should have a great one of these)
> Games: (Command and Conquer, Quake 3)

I do recommend keeping a Win XP partition so you can dual boot.
You might want to try other Distros such as Open SUSE, Ubuntu, kubuntu,
Freespire. They tend to be more consumer oriented.
I have had my computer set up to boot Windows or one of three Linux distros.
I don't really trust torrents a lot so I used Mepis for torrents and kept
nothing much in its home directory.
Kino is a good video editor. All the really serious video rendering is done in
Linux now.
What are you using Paintshop Pro for?
Kryta is a good new CMYK graphics program.
I have not seen a distro lately that does not have DVD burning built in.
Have you taken a look at what the depositoriys for Open SUSE or the CNR
for Freespire have available?

                     Richard Smoot
PS: If you don't have your bios set to boot from a CD, none will work.